Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Sweet Potato Chips



Have you ever had sweet potato chips?  They’re pretty much the best thing ever.  When I was pregnant with Spencer I ate a ton of them made by Route 11. Crazy good!   Fast forward to this morning, when I found myself giving a dry-looking sweet potato sitting on my counter the stink eye.  “What am I going to do with you?”  I saw on Pinterest that you can make potato chips in the microwave, but even though that sounds novel, it also sounded a little gross.  I used a Martha Stewart recipe to point me in the right direction for making them in the oven, and took it from there.

You will need

1 sweet potato ($.87)

2 Tbsp olive oil ($2.99 per lb, .06lb x $2.99 = $.18)

Salt to taste, ½ tsp (est) ($.47 per 26oz, $.47/30.69tsp = $.02 x .5 tsp = $.01)

I've definitely seen fresher sweet potatoes.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Slice the sweet potato in ¼” rounds (you can peel it first if you want, I left the skin on).  It’s more important that the slices are even than that they are ¼”.  Toss the slices with 1 Tbsp of the oil.  Spread the other Tbsp of oil evenly onto a baking sheet. Spread the slices onto the sheet in a single layer and bake for about 30 minutes, flipping them half way though, and watching them CLOSELY towards the end!  Remove them from the pan when they come out of the oven to stop the cooking process, and sprinkle them with salt.
A little dark, but still great.

Right towards the end of the baking time Spencer’s preschool carpool pulled up and the chips got a little overcooked, but they were still delicious!

Try It

$1.06 per… I ate them all before I could weigh them.

Buy It

$1.50 per 1.5oz bag

Verdict

Well, it’s hard to compare since not only did I eat them ALL before I thought to weigh them, but they’re also just really different.  I like that mine don’t involve a plastic bag, and they’re pretty tasty, so I’ll say Try It.  I think I prego burned out on the Route 11 version, anyway. You could also go a cinnamon and brown sugar route seasoning them, I do that to wedges sometimes (in which case you would add the seasonings to the olive oil before tossing).  

No comments:

Post a Comment