Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Pancake Mix


I had a reader request for a Bisquick-like mix months ago, and I have finally gotten around to it!  It took very little searching to find a recipe on allrecipes, but once I did I was a little confused, because it called for powdered buttermilk.  Powdered buttermilk?  It sounded expensive and hard to find.  Then I remembered the good people at Yoder’sCountry Market and all the odd powdered things I had seen there, and sure enough, it was available and cheap (plus Spencer got to go see the animals, including his favorite “puffy turkey”)!
Who knew?

There were a couple reasons this one took me a while to get to: I don’t really use Bisquick, I’m more of a frozen waffle girl, so I didn't have a lot of personal incentive.  Plus, even though I knew this was what I was making this week, we got busy- Spencer started at a co-op preschool this week, and yesterday was my volunteer day.  On the upshot, that meant that this morning I had all to myself, and I decided there was no better time to fix myself some pancakes.  Note- this is a quarter of the original recipe, I didn’t want to make a ton.

You will need

2 cups flour ($3.29 per 5 lb, $3.29/80 oz = $.04 x 11oz = $.45)

½ cup powdered buttermilk ($3.39 per lb, $3.39 x .125lb = $.42)

2 Tbsp sugar ($3.67 per 5 lb, $3.67/80 oz = $.05 x .94oz = $.05(ish))

2 tsp baking powder ($1.59 per 10 oz, $1.59 per 10oz, $1.59/59.06 tsp = $.03 x 2tsp = $.06)

1 tsp baking soda ($.69 per 8oz, $.69/50.38tsp = $.01)

½ tsp salt ($.47 per 26 oz, $.47/ 30.69 tsp = $.02 x .5tsp = $.01)

Mix everything up and store in an airtight container.

To make pancakes, mix 1½ cups of the powder with 1 egg, 1 cup water, and 2 Tbsp vegetable oil (I used melted butter instead), and let it sit for a few minutes.  Heat a frying pan over medium to medium low heat, and add a little butter.  Pour in the batter to your preferred size, and let it sit till there are bubbles forming all over the pancake (not just the edges).  Flip the pancake and let it sit just until the pancake puffs.  Enjoy!
Yep, looks like pancake batter.
Yum!
So how were they?  Really tasty.  My only real memory of Bisquick is from childhood, when my mom used to make pancakes on occasion.  Mostly what I remember about them were that they were oily, undercooked, and a little burnt on the outside (sorry, Mom, but it’s true!).  The flavor was the same, but without the consistency issues.  They were fluffy and soft, a nice treat to enjoy by myself in my temporarily quiet home!

Try It

$1.00 for 12.5oz, or $.08/oz

Buy It

$3.99 for 40oz, or $.10/oz.

Verdict

If you are already a pancake mix user, Try It, it takes longer to pull the ingredients out of the cabinet than it does to get the mix ready!



No comments:

Post a Comment