Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Brown Sugar Oatmeal "Packets"


Spencer loves oatmeal, the sticky glue type that comes in packets that my mom keeps.  I won’t buy them, I think they’re gross.  Thankfully, there seem to be a number of recipes floating around to mimic these.  I first saw the idea on The Simple Dollar, but that wasn’t so much a recipe as a guideline.  I found this one on Allrecipes.  I liked it because it was simple and used old fashioned oats which have a much better texture than instant.  I only made half a batch of the original in case I didn’t like it, and made a few slight changes.

You will need

2 cups organic old-fashioned oats ($1.49 per lb, $1.49/16oz = $.09 x 8oz = $.75)

½ cup wheat germ ($2.79 per 16oz, $2.79/3.5 cups = $.79 x .5cup = $.39)

6 Tbsp packed brown sugar ($1.79 per 32oz, $1.79/4.73cups = $.38 x .375 cup = $.14)

½ tsp cinnamon ($1.97 per 2.37oz, $1.97/2.37oz = $.83 x .03oz = $.02)

This is what I decided powdery looks like, but if it's too coarse you could blend everything again after tasting it.
Put the oats in a food processor, and blend until kind of powdery.  Add the remaining ingredients, and pulse until combined.  Store in an airtight container.
Ready!

To prepare oatmeal, pour ¼ cup of mixture into a bowl.  Add ¼ cup milk, stir to combine, and microwave 
for 30 seconds. 
It looks terrible, but it was delicious!

Try It

$1.30 for 10 37.5g servings, or $.13/serving ($.35 per 100g)

Buy It

$3.59 for 10 43g packets of Quaker’s Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal, or $.36/packet ($.83 per 100g)

Verdict

Holy moly that stuff is good!   I was expecting to feel better about Spencer eating it since it’s not pasty and sticky sweet, but since I’m not a big oatmeal person, I didn’t expect to like it myself.  It has texture and flavor.  Definitely Try It! 

No comments:

Post a Comment