Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Butterfinger Candies



I did it- I joined Pinterest.  I don’t really get it yet, but I’m figuring it out.  One thing I saw a few times is homemade butterfingers, which only have three ingredients.  In case you haven’t noticed, readers, this school year has been kicking my bottom, and a quick sugar fix project sounded lovely.  The recipe called for a full pound of each ingredient, but that sounded a bit excessive!  


You will need

8oz candy corn ($2.50 per 24oz, $2.50/24oz = $.10 x 8oz = $.83)

8oz homemade peanut butter- ¾ cup plus 2 Tbsp ($.26 per fl.oz, $.26 x 13fl.oz = $3.38)

8oz chocolate candy melts ($2.24 per 12oz, $2.24/12oz = $.19 x 8oz = $1.49)

Melted candy corn- who knew?
The peanut butter did not want to mix in, which is probably where the flakiness comes from.
Cooling loaf of sugar.
 Put the candy corn in the microwave for a minute.  Give it a stir, then continue to heat in 15 second intervals until fully melted.  Add the peanut butter and combine quickly!  It will set up very fast.  Pour the mixture into a loaf pan lined with parchment and pat it flat.  Allow it to cool completely. 

Cut the mixture into bars.  Melt the chocolate according to the package directions.  Dip the bars into the chocolate and set them on waxed paper to cool. 
Ready for dipping.
I really like the texture!
 I had to scrape a little extra chocolate off the bars before I set them to cool.  Once they were done, they were oddly… delicious.  And they did have that flaky quality, though they weren’t  as crisp as the real deal.
Not going to lie- they didn't all make it to this stage.

Try It

$5.70 for 24oz, or $.24/oz.

Buy It

$1.19 for 2.1oz, or $.57/oz.

Verdict

I don’t think that I would actually replace the candy with these, but they are an easy treat that are fun to Try.

No comments:

Post a Comment