Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Peanut Butter Cups… Kind of



Did I just make buckeyes?  I think I did.  I set out fully intending to make peanut butter cups, but in my effort to avoid the little paper cups, I ended up with a different candy!  The recipe is from One Good Thing by Jillee, who got it from RadMegan.  The only ingredient I changed is the chocolate.  Instead of using a bag of chocolate chips I bought bulk bar chocolate.

You will need

2 Tbsp organic butter ($3.79 per 32 Tbsp, $3.79/32Tbsp = $.12 x 2Tbsp = $.24)

14 Tbsp homemade peanut butter ($1.53 per cup, $1.53/16Tbsp = $.09 x 14Tbsp = $1.34)

¾ cup powdered sugar ($1.56 per 2lb, $1.56/7.5cups = $.21 x .75cup = $.16)

About 1 lb quality chocolate ($4.99 per lb, $4.99 x .9lb = $4.49)

Delicious peanut butter filling
I know you want to eat one.

Melt the butter in a large bowl in the microwave.  Stir in the peanut butter, then the sugar.  Refrigerate.  Once it’s firmed up a little, scoop up teaspoonfuls (I happen to have a scoop for this, but you can also roll spoonfuls into balls) onto a plate and put it in the freezer.  While it’s freezing, melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pot of simmering water.  Dip the peanut butter balls into the chocolate with a fork, scraping excess chocolate on the side of the bowl.  Lay the dipped ball on parchment paper, silicone mat, or flattened plastic bag.  Freeze until firm and peel off the mat.

Note about working with chocolate- even though you are melting the chocolate over water, DO NOT LET IT GET WET!  The chocolate will seize and you'll have to toss it.

Combination dip/spoon on the chocolate, then scrape the excess off on the bowl edge.
Where is my silicone mat?  This worked surprisingly well in its absence.

Try It

$6.23 for 1.03lb, or $6.05 per lb

Buy It

Martin’s has bulk mini Reese’s for $4.49 per lb

Verdict

They are crazy good.  I have a lot of chocolate left over, so I might re-dip them for a little extra chocolate kick.  Unfortunately they are a little pricey compared to the pre-made ones, so even though they were pretty easy, especially since I made them little at a time throughout the day, I think I will just Buy It.  It was worth a shot, anyway! 

No comments:

Post a Comment