Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Diaper Cream


I have been using the same 2.5fl oz jar of cloth diaper safe rash cream since June 2009.  You heard me.  I don’t know what it means, but it sure was thrifty.  It came with my starter package from The Stork Diaper Service (which is a great way to get into cloth without spending a ton, by the way).  Instead of researching what to buy next or tracking down the local maker of my Melissa’s Majik Baby Balm, I just took to the web for a recipe.  This was more complicated than I expected, because most recipes included an assortment of pricey essential oils, or zinc- an ingredient that is not cloth diaper safe. I eventually found this one from Ecocrazy Mom, which appealed to me because it was simple, and I had all the ingredients.  I modified it very slightly to make it a little softer and cheaper. 

You will need

1 Tbsp olive oil ($2.99 per lb, .03lb x $2.99 = $.08)

2 ½ Tbsp coconut oil ($9.99 per 14fl.oz, $9.99/ 14fl.oz = $.71 x 1.25fl.oz = $.89)

¼ oz beeswax ($7.19 per 5oz, $7.19/5oz = $1.44 x .25oz = $.36)

1 drop tea tree oil ($12.49 per 2 fl.oz, $12.49/720 drops = $.02)

Small heat proof jar (free, reused my old diaper cream jar)

Just like the lotion, that wax took forever to melt.
I didn't have a dropper, so I dipped our thermometer in the bottle to get a drop out.
Place your jar in a small saucepan and fill the pan with water until it is almost as deep as your jar is tall.  Heat the pan over medium high heat.  Add the first three ingredients to your jar one at a time, starting with beeswax, then coconut oil, then olive oil (this is only important if you are using a very small jar like me where it might overflow if you’re not careful).  Heat until all the wax and coconut oil is melted, stirring periodically.  Remove the jar from the water.  Add tea tree oil, stir to combine, and allow to cool completely.
Next morning, balm is ready to go!
 Try It

$1.35 for about 2fl.oz, or $.68/fl.oz

Buy It

I don’t remember what I paid for my jar; it was discounted as part of a package deal, but Melissa’s Majik
Baby Balm currently retails for $8.50 for a 2.5 fl.oz jar, or $3.40/fl.oz.  (and if you aren’t up for making it, this stuff is pretty awesome!)

Verdict

The homemade version is 20% of the cost of store bought.  It did the job very well, but is was still a little hard for my taste.  Next batch I might add a little more olive oil and a little less beeswax.  Having that much wax makes me a little nervous, anyway, because I’m not sure if it will wash out. Try It, it's great, and the tea tree smell is very faint.

1 comment:

  1. I have also used straight up coconut oil as a diaper cream. Natural anti-bacterial, antifungal properties. I do put a few drops of tea tree oil and grapefruit seed extract in my wipe solution.

    ReplyDelete