Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Brown Sugar


Well, we're gearing back up post baby, a little slowly, but back on track!  Thanks for sticking with me!
 
I ran across the recipe for brown sugar some time ago, but had no need to ever try it, since brown sugar is so inexpensive.  Last night, however, I needed half a cup of brown sugar and found my pantry lacking.  I did have granulated sugar and molasses, which are the only ingredients you need.

You will need

1 cup granulated sugar ($3.29 per 5 lb, $3.29/80oz = $.04 x 7.5oz = $.31)

1 Tbsp molasses (2 Tbsp for dark brown sugar) ($3.45 per 12fl.oz, $3.45/12fl.oz = $.29 x .5fl.oz = $.14

Before...

Put the sugar in a small bowl and drizzle the molasses over it.  Mix with a fork until fully incorporated.
For real, that’s it. 
...and after.  So simple!

Try It

$.45 per cup.

Buy It

$.37 per cup.

Verdict

This took no time, but it’s still more expensive than store bought.  I will continue to Buy It for the most part, but it's still a great trick to have up your sleeve in a pinch!

2 comments:

  1. That is a handy tip. It does seem kind of pointless to buy the separate ingredients for the point of putting it back together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't use brown sugar that often, so I always use this mix. The specific amounts aren't critical, just slop some molasses in along with the rest of the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete