Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream (with Flakes!)


After making the Magic Shell, I had to try making ice cream with the flakes!  I used Miss Molly’s easy-peasy vanilla ice cream recipe, but replaced the vanilla with mint.  Make sure your ingredients are good and cold before you begin.
 
You will need

1 cup organic whole milk ($5.99 per gallon, $5.99/128oz = $.05 x 8oz = $.37)

¾ cup sugar ($3.29 per 5 lb, $3.29/ 80oz = $.04 x 5.625oz = $.23)

2 cups organic whipping cream ($2.99)

1 – 2 tsp mint extract  ($4.65 per oz, $4.65/6tsp = $.78 x 2 = $1.55)

Homemade magic shell to taste ($.24 per Tbsp, $.24 x 4 = $.96)

Whisk together the milk and sugar until sugar has dissolved, about 2 minutes.  Add whipping cream and mint, whisk to combine (I like mine super minty, I used 2 tsp of extract).  Add to your ice cream maker.  When the ice cream is nearly thick enough to remove from the maker, start to pour in your magic shell.  I drizzled it in with a spoon, adding about ¼ cup to the batch.
Drizzling chocolate into the ice cream maker

Look at all those beautiful flakes!

Spencer got to lick the mixer blade afterwards

And… It worked!  That does indeed make flaky chocolate chips!  I would think that if you poured it in a little faster rather than drizzling it might make larger flakes. 
Especially delicious with a little extra magic shell on top!

Try It

$6.10 for 1.37 quarts, or $4.45/qt.

Buy It

$6.59 for 1.75 quarts, or $3.77/qt.

Verdict 

Well, it’s more expensive than store bought, even if I compared it to the organic ice cream ($3.99/qt), but it is really tasty, fun to make, and fit in perfectly while we were waiting for bread to rise.  Overall, I’ll Buy It, but it’s nice to Try It from time to time.

2 comments:

  1. laura! i didn't know you had a blog! what a great concept. i'll think of something and if it seems smart or clever enough i'll pass it by you. :) i appreciate the shout-out! ;) -Miss Molly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Miss Molly! I use your recipe for basically all my ice cream, by the way. Please let me know if you have any ideas, I'm always looking for new ones!

    ReplyDelete